From the 21st Grand Polaris
“In the real world, no one wants to hear excuses or empty rhetoric. They want to know if they have a plan.” Prof. Phipps to Malik and Fudge in “Higher Learning”
BALTIMORE, MD – The above quote comes from one of my favorite movies, which I use in my classes to teach about prejudice, discrimination and critical thinking. I felt this was an appropriate introduction to the plans (“Visions”) my administration has for our Fraternity over the next four years.
As outlined in my previous campaign literature (pamphlets, website, Facebook page), my future ‘VISIONS’ for the Fraternity include:
• Totally revamped and updated Bylaws that allow the Fraternity to be governed correctly and operate efficiently (met via Board of Directors proposal at Conclave 2013)
• The Fraternity’s organizational structure evolves, wherein the National Board of Directors becomes the primary governing body of the organization instead of one man (Grand Polaris), or small body (Grand Council). (met via Board of Directors proposal at Conclave 2013)
• The Fraternity and its leadership becomes more inclusive, accountable and transparent, allowing more Brothers to trust, actively participate in and feel as valuable contributors to the Fraternity.
• More effective fundraising processes, maximizing the opportunities presented by joint Iota Phi Theta/National IOTA Foundation/NIC Foundation (www.nicindy.org/foundation/) initiatives.
• Fraternal communication is greatly improved, both from top-down and bottom-up, so that ALL Brothers are aware of activities within the Fraternity.
• The Fraternity becomes an INTERNATIONALLY renowned social/community service organization, addressing issues such as the worldwide AIDS epidemic and human trafficking of women and children.
• An International Advisory Board is established, comprised of Brothers, Sweethearts, members of other greek-letter organizations (NPHC, NIC, NPC, NALFO, NMGC) and non-greeks to give ideas and input to the Fraternity’s leadership.
• Fraternity Summer Conferences focus exclusively on leadership development, chapter development (fundraising, policies and procedures) and personal development (mental, physical, economic/financial, etc.).
• The Iota Sweetheart Auxiliary evolves into the Iota Sweethearts, Inc., a non-profit membership organization with structure similar to the National Council of Negro Women (www.ncnw.org), organizationally-bound to Iota Phi Theta, Inc. as a ‘true’ sister organization and corporate partner.
Additionally, it is my intention to allow ANY and ALL Iota Men, who wish to participate in any of these endeavors the opportunity to contribute via involvement in the various committees created to address targeted issues and initiatives. Brothers will be able to contact the various national directors, whose contact information will be made available to the Brotherhood. We need as many ‘working Brothers’ (versus ‘talkers’) to actualize our initiatives and activities.
Brothers, no more talk … time for action! We claim to be the fastest-growing, most dynamic, creative and innovative organization in the fraternal world … let’s prove it! Let’s take our rightful place as THE Premier Fraternity in our nation in terms of purpose and relevance in our nation. I look forward to OUR collective progress toward Excellence.
21st International Grand Polaris